Each NGSS chapter needs students, an advisor, and support from school or organization administration. More than likely you already have the internal structure in place to add NGSS as a student club. Schools often will add a NGSS chapter as a new club to kick off an environmental club or add NGSS to compliment an existing program. Students, educators, and administrators work together to complete the paper work to get the program up and running. Here are some tips to help you get started.
- Make sure that you have researched NGSS and have material with you when you speak with teachers or school administrators. See the list of benefits.
- Ask a teacher or school mentor to be the advisor and support your efforts to get a chapter started.
- Meet with the principal, superintendent, or other important administrators to explain NGSS, its benefits, and what your plans are to start a chapter.
- Have sample project ideas that will improve the school’s sustainability and how those projects will involve students.
- Explain NGSS student recognition and awards, and how you think the chapter will fit into the overall culture of the school.
- Complete the paper work necessary to establish the chapter as a school club.
- High School Graduates can qualify for NGSS honor stoles and certificates with the appropriate documentation and completion of service hours.
- Speak with administrators to discuss the process of getting the NGSS chapter recognized as a school club.
- Explain how NGSS projects and programs can benefit students and be included as curriculum enrichment.
- Engage students who are excited about starting a NGSS chapter.
- Review and develop bylaws, charter, member guidelines, student leadership requirements, and student recognition and awards with student leaders and hold officer elections.
- Recruit students and begin the induction process.
- Work with leaders to add NGSS student recognition and awards to underclassmen awards, senior awards night, and graduation.
STEP 1 Complete an online application.
STEP 2 Recruit students
When your NGSS chapter is established, begin the recruitment process of engaging students. Induction to a NGSS chapter is based on environmental stewardship and service, not on academic grade point average. Induction usually takes place in September, but can happen at any time throughout the year once you establish a chapter. While there is an element of scholarship associated with NGSS, the real motivator for students who join is their commitment to environmental and sustainability issues.
Once you sign up and establish a chapter you will receive more information in our Handbook about how to continue your work.
For more information about NGSS, contact: